Big Foot 40 Besucher/Visitors

Nach oben



2007_01 till 02


"What happened whilst the last weeks:"



Here a photo of the “pigs nose” (because of the look-alike when you open the cover), a Nato-standard connection between vehicles to support each other with electricity when the battery fails. It was originally mounted on the battery holder on the left side, but this one is meanwhile removed as you may have read in „Big Foot 39. So I mounted it between the cabin and drivers cabin. The construction was welded from myself and afterwards zinc-coated, described as well before.



The truck is equipped with a rear camera. But in darkness the standard rear light was not bright enough to allow visibility through the camera. So I added two rear lights that are equipped with halogen light. So far I did not drive backwards in darkness and so I am unable to say if it is sufficient. Due to the newest regulation 2 or four rear lights are now allowed (alternatively 2 to the rear and 2 to the sides). Because I laid a 2,5 mm˛ cable from the fuses to the rear and use the original rear light cable only to switch a relay there is in the worst case still „space“ to upgrade even further if required.



On the army truck type 1017 the spare wheel is mounted slightly tilted to offer bigger slope angle at the rear. But mine is a former border police truck and here the spare wheel is mounted horizontally. Due to the thicker tires the off-road facilities were even more limited as you can see on the picture from Boxberg, where the rear tire already is scratching the ground: [img].



The limited slope angle I was able to improve by the following modifications. The support onto which the tire is resting I have cut by half and the remaining part I modified to a triangle shape. The long threads were equipped with a plate, heated and bended according to the triangle shape. The plate provides a rest for the rim and provided a mismatch of the threads with the holes of the rim when the threads were bended. Finally the spare tire support was zinc covered. Here I am rethreading to get rid of the zinc.



When I lifted the support with the tire the rope got stuck somehow and the worm wheel made out of plastic broke. So this needed to be renewed. The new parts are now made of solid metal instead of plastic! The winch housing was cleaned, rust removed and then everything sprayed.



This picture hopefully shows the new, tilted position of the spare tire after the modifications. The next off-road ride will prove if it was enough – but further improvements are not possible without intensive modifications.


To be continued!!!

Index ] Camper Info ] Big Foot Links ] Big Foot 01 ] Big Foot 02 ] Big Foot 03 ] Big Foot 04 ] Big Foot 05 ] Big Foot 06 ] Big Foot 07 ] Big Foot 08 ] Big Foot 09 ] Big Foot 10 ] Big Foot 11 ] Big Foot 12 ] Big Foot 13 ] Big Foot 14 ] Big Foot 15 ] Big Foot 16 ] Big Foot 17 ] Big Foot 18 ] Big Foot 19 ] Big Foot 20 ] Big Foot 21 ] Big Foot 22 ] Big Foot 23 ] Big Foot 24 ] Big Foot 25 ] Big Foot 26 ] Big Foot 27 ] Big Foot 28 ] Big Foot 29 ] Big Foot 30 ] Big Foot 31 ] Big Foot 32 ] Big Foot 33 ] Big Foot 34 ] Big Foot 35 ] Big Foot 36 ] Big Foot 37 ] Big Foot 38 ] Big Foot 39 ] [ Big Foot 40 ] Big Foot 41 ] Big Foot 42 ] Big Foot 43 ] Big Foot 44 ] Big Foot 45 ] Big Foot 46 ] Big Foot 47 ] Big Foot 48 ] Big Foot 49 ] Big Foot 50 ] Big Foot 51 ] Big Foot 52 ] Big Foot 53 ] Big Foot 54 ]
Stand: 24. September 2010