Big Foot 52 Besucher/Visitors

Nach oben

"Big Foot 52"




Storage boxes etc. (March till April 2010)



Finally I finished the last two storage boxes! Some preparations were necessary. The box on the right side would have got in conflict with the winch of the spare tire, so I cut off the end.



Then I welded a nut onto the stud and so I can now lift or lower the spare tire with a ratchet.



The lever of the wastewater-valve would have been in conflict with the box. So I exchanged it to an electric operated one which has a mechanic override in case of problems.



The switch is located in the right storage box but I installed an additional one in the dashboard (the left one), plus a red indicator light if the valve is open. Because I anyhow had made a lot of dirt I prepared in addition the switch for an additional diesel tank which I will order shortly. The switch for the wastewater-valve saves me to go to the storage box when I had driven to a dump-station and can open and close the valve from the driver seat.



The ground clearance due to the storage boxes isn’t effected by any means. The one on the left side is mirrored but besides that identical. They offer enough space for the 4 steel- and 4 aluminium-sand ladders, the rods for the awning, parts for the chairs, an extendable ladder up to 3,8 m, the wheel chocks plus more.



The storage boxes were built around the support frames to fix them directly to the ground plate of the cabin plus to have some more space in the boxes. My first intention was to close the gaps but my friend Orest recommended to add slide out rods. So now I have on both sides 2 40x40 mm stainless steel square tubes in which are square tubes as well out of stainless steel of 35x35 mm. The bigger ones are 35 cm long, the inner ones are 75 cm long. So they can be pulled out up to nearly 40 cm. A wooden board fits in and so I can use it to store various things on it. rods



The storage boxes I built in stainless steel tubes which were cut in 30° and fitted with a mounting plate in front. In front of the holes I built of PE sideways slide-locks to prevent water or dirt to get in. The tubes are to put in the telescopic rods for the awning.




Without an additional spreader the awning was not straight enough.



With the spreader out of stainless steel – which can be split in the middle – the awning is now perfect.

A normal awning would have required from my point of view supports right from the beginning of the cabin construction. To tie down the awning to the ground would have prevented to change the position if the sun has moved without bigger efforts and in addition the cabin is put flexible onto the frame of the truck. As a result entering of leaving the cabin would have pulled out the tent pegs or stressed the tie down ropes or the awning itself.



Meanwhile I was able to grind off the logos of the container. The top and the left side are painted with ant-rust paint, the edges were sealed and the bigger scratches treated with knifing putty.

Index ] Camper Info ] Big Foot Links ] Big Foot 01 ] Big Foot 02 ] Big Foot 03 ] Big Foot 04 ] Big Foot 05 ] Big Foot 06 ] Big Foot 07 ] Big Foot 08 ] Big Foot 09 ] Big Foot 10 ] Big Foot 11 ] Big Foot 12 ] Big Foot 13 ] Big Foot 14 ] Big Foot 15 ] Big Foot 16 ] Big Foot 17 ] Big Foot 18 ] Big Foot 19 ] Big Foot 20 ] Big Foot 21 ] Big Foot 22 ] Big Foot 23 ] Big Foot 24 ] Big Foot 25 ] Big Foot 26 ] Big Foot 27 ] Big Foot 28 ] Big Foot 29 ] Big Foot 30 ] Big Foot 31 ] Big Foot 32 ] Big Foot 33 ] Big Foot 34 ] Big Foot 35 ] Big Foot 36 ] Big Foot 37 ] Big Foot 38 ] Big Foot 39 ] Big Foot 40 ] Big Foot 41 ] Big Foot 42 ] Big Foot 43 ] Big Foot 44 ] Big Foot 45 ] Big Foot 46 ] Big Foot 47 ] Big Foot 48 ] Big Foot 49 ] Big Foot 50 ] Big Foot 51 ] [ Big Foot 52 ] Big Foot 53 ] Big Foot 54 ]
Stand: 24. September 2010